Monday, April 09, 2007

Cadbury "Creme Egg" review!

So Easter '07 has come and gone, and I find myself the lucky owner of 20-odd cadbury Creme eggs that survived the orgy of chocolate consumption that took place over the last few days. Creme eggs have always been my favourite easter-themed snack, and I thought I'd write a post reviewing each of the five flavours that are currently sitting in my hot little hands. Lauren will also be throwing down her two cents for each egg.



The "Original" Cadbury Creme egg:
What could I possibly say about this egg that nobody knows? It has a dairy milk chocolate shell and a gooey 'yellow-and-white' fondant centre. The consistency of the middle is much thicker than that of a real hens egg, and far, far tastier. Very sweet. 9/10
Lauren's take:

The original and the best. Egg-cellent! 9/10

The "Caramello" Creme egg:
This particular egg has been around for a wee while now, and can still be purchased (much like it's 'original' brother) outside the traditional Easter period. The egg tastes identical to the afformentioned egg, but is filled with a thick, soft caramel, which fills most of Cadbury's line of "Caramello" products. This is a very tasty egg, and is a good alternative when you overdose on the Original. 8.5/10
Lauren's take:
Sweet, sticky, nothing exciting. 7/10


The "Peppermint" Creme egg:
This is a new one for me. I must say I was a bit nonplussed when I gathered these babies at the annual Jones family easter egg hunt. I've always looked upon peppermint fondant as being the "Volvo" of candy filling; They make nice cars, but everyone knows you're going to pick the sexier, more-expensive BMW when it comes to the crunch.... How pleasantly surprised I was when I discovered that those geniuses at Cadbury had infused this delightful egg with an new and exciting twist! A dark chocolate shell..... The result is a delicious combination of flavours, reminiscent of those thin, after dinner mint chocolates that are always so popular at family gatherings. 8.5/10
Lauren's take:
The dark (chocolate) horse! 8/10

The "Double Chocolate" Creme egg:
I've tried this one before, and have to say that it tastes exactly like the name says. A chocolate shell with chocolate fondant, although the fondant in this one is a thicker, richer fondant than the previous eggs, and for this alone I'm going to bump it's score from a "competent" 6.5 out of ten to a "pretty good" 7.0. It's better that a solid chocolate egg, but not that much better. 7.0/10
Lauren's take:
Easter bunny only supplied one egg. Rating unavailable.

The "Dream" Egg:
Oh dear lord in heaven. This was the rotten egg that inspired me to write this series of micro-reviews. I felt it was my duty to warn as many people as I could about the atrocity which Cadbury has committed by making this. Cadbury have used their "Dream" chocolate for the shell of this egg. Dream is Cadbury's ill-conceived reply to Nestle's wildly popular "Milky Bar" white chocolate. Unlike "Milky Bar", Cadbury's Dream is total shite that tastes like lard. To soften this assault on our tastebuds, some genius at Cadbury thought it would be a good idea to throw in a strawberry Fondant filling, much like (if not identical to) the filling in Cadbury "Strawberry Freddo" chocolate frogs. The result is a cacophonous taste explosion, the likes of which haven't been experienced since the last time I tasted something really, really bad. 2/10
Lauren's take:
Simply delicious Elaine! Filled with that articifical strawberry goop that we all know and love. Smoother than Victor on the inside... Browner on the outside. 8.5/10

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home